Program for GIS for Language Study Kick Off Workshop
Wednesday 8 November 2017, 09:00–16:00
Engelska parken, room 16-2043
- Michael Dunn is Professor of General Linguistics at the Department of Linguistics and Philology at Uppsala University. His academic background is in language description, linguistic typology, and phylogenetics, and his current research focus is on the evolutionary dynamics of language change.
- Jan Amcoff is Senior lecturer at the Department of Social and Economic Geography at Uppsala University. As the President of the UpGIS network at Uppsala University, he is interested in internal migration in Sweden, particulary return migration. The importance of geographical units of data compilation to empirical results is another filed of interest to him. A third area of interest has to do with regional enlargement through extended commuting. A fourth area concerns the development of rural areas.
- Timo Rantanen is PhD student at the Department of Geography and Geology at the University of Turku. He is also associated with the BEDLAN Research Group, which was established in 2009 and involves researchers from the universities of Helsinki, Tampere and Turku. The central aim of this cross-disciplinary research group is to investigate how the theories and methods of evolutionary biology can help to explain the diversification of languages.
- Sofia Koskela is MSc student in geography at the Department of Geography and Geology at the University of Turku and becoming a GIS specialist. She has worked as GIS assistant in the BEDLAN project and currently under the University of Helsinki's SUGRIGE project which aims at getting a whole-genome picture of ancient and contemporary Finns and Finno-Ugrians. She is also still strongly collaborating with Timo Rantanen and other members of BEDLAN team.
(open for public, no application needed)
Chair: Alexandra Petrulevich
- 09:00-09:15 Welcome and opening remarks, Alexandra Petrulevich and Marc Tang (Uppsala University)
- 09:15–10:00 Towards a spatially aware science of language, Michael Dunn (Uppsala University)
- 10:00–10:30 Coffee break
- 10:30–11:15 Geoinformatics in linguistics? Introduction to spatial data and spatial analysis, Timo Rantanen & Sofia Koskela (University of Turku)
- 11:15–11:30 Break
- 11:30–12:00 GIS at Uppsala University, Jan Amcoff (Uppsala University)
- 12:00-13:00 Lunch
- 13:00–14:00 Visualisation of the GIS data – learn to make your own map of Saami languages. Part 1., Timo Rantanen & Sofia Koskela (University of Turku)
- 14:00–14:30 Coffee break
- 14:30–15:30 Visualisation of the GIS data – learn to make your own map of Saami languages. Part 2., Timo Rantanen & Sofia Koskela (University of Turku)
- 15:30–15:45 Break
- 15:45–16:00 Feedback and discussion
All workshop participants are REQUIRED to bring their own laptops with QGIS software installed (preferably in English).